Kid-Friendly Cherry Pie Cookies
Fact: Kids love making sweet stuff.
If you’re looking for something to bake with your kids this summer vacation, here’s a super simple recipe for some easy-to-do cherry pie cookies you could make with your kiddos at home.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 21 ounce of Cherry Pie Filling (Fresh or Canned)
- ½ cup white chocolate baking chips
INSTRUCTIONS – COOKIES
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer beat together butter, and margarine until fluffy. Add flour powdered sugar, and vanilla just until combined and a soft dough is formed.
- Roll the dough into tablespoon sized balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. about 2 inches apart. Make an indentation in the center of each ball. Scoop 1-2 cherries into each center indentation in the cookie.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Allow cookies to cool. Melt the ½ cup white chocolate in the microwave stirring 30 seconds at a time in a microwave safe dish until smooth and be careful not to let it burn.
- Once chocolate is melted scoop into a ziplock blog. Snip the corner with scissors and drizzle the chocolate over each cookie.
FHRESH CHERRY FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 4 cup pitted red cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
INSTRUCTIONS – FRESH CHERRY FILLING
- Place cherries into a saucepan over medium heat, and cover the pan; heat cherries until they release their juice and come to a simmer, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir often.
- In a bowl, whisk the sugar with cornstarch until smooth; pour the mixture into the hot cherries and juice, and thoroughly combine. Return to low heat, bring to a simmer, and cook until the filling has thickened, about 2 minutes; remove from heat, let cool, and use as pie filling.